AVA GARDNER. I AM STRENGTH
“I made it as a star dressed, and if it ain’t dressed, I don’t want it”.
A classic combination of dark lips, strong eyebrows and heavily loaded lashes is a timeless look that oozes the vibrancy and glamour at the peak of the Hollywood Golden Era. Standing the test of time, this look is continuously recreated, both on and off the catwalk, giving women globally the chance to channel their inner silver screen diva, just as Ava Gardner did.
Created by Mr Max Factor in the 1940s, Ava Gardner’s striking signature siren look was admired by men and aspired to by women. She led the way for strong and independent females around the world; something she demonstrated both in her appearance and in her hugely successful career as one of the most heralded, and Academy Award nominated, actresses of her time.
Widely described as one of the most beautiful women of the Hollywood Golden Era, it was Mr Max Factor that designed Ava’s glamour statement of sultry eyes (enhancing their unique green colour), strong lips and lustrous brunette curls. His hand expertly blended make-up artistry and technique with innovative products. Today, her look is still the epitome of classic glamour, as 70 years on we continue to see contemporary takes on the Ava look.
RECREATE AVA GARDNER’S TIMELESS LOOK WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MAX FACTOR
The glamour statement focus: eyes and lips
Ava’s glamour statement enabled her to sashay with a strong sense of style and confidence, thanks to Mr Max Factor’s artistically designed look. Here we show you how to recreate the look with a contemporary twist.
The key to carrying a strong eyes and lips look is to follow Ava’s lead with perfectly smooth and fuss-free skin.
1. Apply Max Factor Facefinity All Day Flawless 3 in 1 Foundation using fingertips, working the foundation into the skin like a moisturiser. Also use the product across the lids to create a gorgeous uniform beauty. Then dab Max Factor Mastertouch Under-eye Concealer to the under eyes areas
2. Using a small to medium sized blusher brush sweep Max Factor Flawless Perfection Blusher in Subtle Amber just under the cheekbones to add definition and warmth
EYES & BROWS
Strong, defined eyebrows frame Ava’s look and these were beautifully complemented by long and feathery lashes, plus her signature slick of heavy upper-lid eyeliner.
3. Start by defining brows with Max Factor Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel, using the built-in brush to round off afterwards for precise definition
4. Using Max Factor Masterpiece Glide & Define in Black neatly line the upper lids with a gentle flick outwards and upwards to give the illusion of bigger eyes. Repeat the line a few times to gradually thicken the flick
5. To finish, layer lashes with Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara for dramatic volume don’t forget to sweep the mascara onto the outer lashes for extra feline eyes
With her colouring, Ava carried off a strong burgundy lip shade with aplomb. Straying from the much loved pillar-box red, which was often seen as flirtatious and playful, burgundy tones made Ava look even more striking. It’s also a hot shade pick for autumn/winter, which sees a rich russet palette, as seen with the Max Factor Lip Noire’ trend.
6. Apply Max Factor Colour Elixir in Ruby Tuesday for a show-stopping shade of deep red, and finish with a slick of Max Factor Max Effect Gloss Cube in Sweet Cassis
Ava was famed for matching her bright red nail colour to her lip colour a trend that spread across the world in the 1940’s. To add a touch of this iconic inspiration to your look, apply two coats of Max Factor Glossfinity nail polish in Cerise for a beautiful high gloss finish.
A head full of soft curls was Ava’s go-to style which exudes strong femininity and glamour. So finish the look with carefully created hair or for a more modern statement go for something looser, like the season’s trend towards the new Easy Chic’ of just out of bed’ gorgeous tousles.